Data Controller: Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland
Address: Thistle House, 91 Haymarket Terrace, EH12 5HD
Data Protection Officer: Isabel Drummond-Murray
Address: LGBCS, Thistle House, 91 Haymarket Terrace, EH12 5HD
1. The Local Government Boundary Commission for Scotland (the Commission) is an independent and impartial public body which reviews constituencies for the Scottish Parliament, as well as electoral arrangements and administrative area boundaries for local authorites.
Why do you process my personal information?
2. The Commission’s review process is informed by public consultations – this is a statutory requirement under Local Government Scotland Act 1973. The Commission is committed to respecting personal data that we hold as part of our reviews.
What categories of personal data are you processing?
3. The Commission does not require or request any of the defined special categories of data defined under GDPR. However, data on political affiliation or religious make up can sometimes be provided in consultation responses.
4. You may request a copy of any personal data we hold on you, at any time, by contacting the Data Protection Officer as set out at the top of page 1. We will aim to respond to your request within 20 working days.
Where do you get my personal data from?
5. The Commission holds personal data collected through the following:
i. Through responses to its public consultations;
ii. Through personal correspondence sent to the Commission;
iii. Through requests to be included on our mailing lists; and
iv. In relation to Commissioners and the Secretariat team.
6. In addition, in line with Representation of the People Regulations 2001 (as amended), the Commission Secretariat receives the full electoral register and monthly updates from Electoral Registration Officers. This information is held securely in encrypted form, it is redacted before use and the original data is destroyed after three months. The redacted data is destroyed after three years.
Do you share my personal data with anyone else?
7. We will not share your personal data with other organisations. However, we will publish consultation responses on our website with all personal information redacted apart from the name of the respondent and the first part of their post code.
Do you transfer my personal data to other countries?
8. We will not share your personal data with other countries. However, we will publish consultation responses on our website with all personal information redacted apart from the name of the respondent and the first part of their post code. Our website is accessible in other countries.
How long do you keep my personal data?
9. Personal data is held for the duration of a review. Once ended, all files relating to the a Review will be subject to scrutiny by National Records of Scotland (NRS) in line with requirements placed on government bodies and their agencies.
10. We do not undertake any automated decision making or profiling using your personal data.
What rights do I have?
- You have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed, and access to your personal data.
- You are entitled to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- You have a right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing, in specific circumstances.
- You have the right to ‘block’ or suppress processing of personal data, in specific circumstances.
- You have the right to data portability, in specific circumstance.
- You have the right to object to the processing, in specific circumstance.
- You have rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
How do I complain if I am not happy?
If you are unhappy with how any aspect of this privacy notice, or how your personal information is being processed, please contact the Commission’s Data Protection Officer, Isabel Drummond-Murray, at:
LGBCS, Thistle House, 91 Haymarket Terrace, EH12 5HD
If you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):
The Information Commissioner's Office - Scotland
45 Melville Street
Telephone: 0303 123 1115